Saturday, February 20, 2010

What Ravi Saw

Out of the blue Ravi and it was always him that gave us the fright. We jumped and shouted. He shrieked and screamed in a terrified manner. He screamed, "AH…. There! On the tree! Look!… Look!… A GHOST…"
That was the signal we had been waiting for to sprint again. Without looking back we ran the two hundred metres across the dreaded cemetery like the wind. As we were doing so, I thought I heard the laughter; a chilly and uncanny laughter coming from the direction Ravi had mentioned earlier. Was it a joke; my imagination or just one of us laughing in fear? Up till today I still cannot explain. I did not dare to ask my buddies until we were safely out of the place.
We were panting and hissing and it took quite a while before we could gather enough courage to ask one another what it was all about.
Guna said in between breadth, " Hey, what happened? What did you see?"
Ravi also in exhaustion said, "Oh, very scary. I saw a figure; a ghost on a tree. A dark thing sitting on a tree."
Gopal interrupted, "Yes, I also saw something. It was waving its hand at me. Did you see it, Koong?
I replied softly, "No, but I thought I heard something, a laughter, a terrible laughter."
I then asked the other four if anyone of them had heard the strange and uncanny laughter.
"Me too. I also heard that. A terrible laughter." Thaila added.
That was the last straw. Gopal finally said, "No more. I'm not coming here again; never again."
All of us agreed by nodding. We then promised never to venture into that area again even if it was the shortest possible route. Once bitten, twice shy.

No comments: