Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Fishing We Shall Go

I remembered clearly going to a pool and not getting any fish after a couple of hours waiting patiently there.
Thaila said, "okay, let's vote. Majority wins."
So all the five put in our votes by a show of hands. It was three for and two against the idea. I was for it anyway.
I asked, "When shall we go?"
Gopal answered, "Why not now? It's still early. What time is it now?"
I said, "Let me take a look."
The old grandfather clock in my house was also the only clock that everyone in the village referred to whenever my neighbours wanted to know the time of the day. Come to think of it, I have always wondered why my neighbours had \never bothered to get a clock for themselves. Maybe it was not necessary to them. In those days we had to wind the clocks every week and it was not a delightful job. Only my grandfather and father would wind it up. I was not allowed to touch it for fear of destroying it.
"Hey, it's only half past one. Better go now before it gets late." I suggested.
So saying we returned to our houses and came out again, each with a fishing rod in the hands. It was always a ready at hand tool as we each had one as a necessity. A bamboo pole with a line and a hook at the end. There was also a float made from apiece of cork cut from an old bottle stopper. The fishing pole would be placed at the back of our houses; against the kitchen wall away from mischievous hands. Quite precious though; it was not to be touched by others. We believed that if someone else touched it, we would not be able to get any fish. My mother had one tried to use it to put out her clothes to dry and I had protested angrily.

No comments: