Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Have to Eat First

Anyway, back to the group, the names are Gunasegaran (Guna), Thaiyalan (Thaila), Ravindran (Ravi) and Gopal Krishnan (Gopal). Ravi is now a police inspector. The five of us had shared a lot of adventures and thrills many kids nowadays would envy.
Each day after school, we would gather in the compound in front of my house or rather our houses. We would sit under the two shady trees and share jokes, stories and tales about everything under the sky.
One particular afternoon; I remembered that it was a Friday afternoon. School was over early as it is now. On reaching home, I kicked off my shoes into the corners of my room. My socks were thrown onto a stool and my bag onto the floor. After changing into my casual clothes, I dumped my soiled school uniform into a pail in the bathroom. Into the kitchen I shot. I took a plate, scooped some rice onto it and went to the food cabinet. There were fish and vegetables (plucked from our farm). I took a fish and added some vegetables. After a quick lunch, I dashed out of my house to meet my buddies. Usually, I would be the first to be there. Standing there, I inserted my fingers into my mouth and blew. A whistle and it was a signal for the others to appear. I had practised this whistle for quite a while before getting it into perfection. At first only air came out without a sound. Later after much practice, I got it right.

No comments: